Monday, November 20, 2006

My Ultimate Driving Machine


As the title suggest, you may think that I'm driving a Bimmer (BMW), unfortunately, I only drive one in my dreams. Reality is, for almost four years, I have been driving a Toyota Altis 1600cc. It is a good machine, driving is responsive, it has a very "macho" look (very important for every normal Filipino car-owning person), but four years is a long time, and I'm at a point where I hope I have a new car to drive. Issues, issues and issues... But I still have to wait for another year before my company will replace what I am driving now, oh well, one year is a short time, better start scouting for one.

What I have in mind supposedly for my new vehicle was to request for a pick-up instead of another sedan, and there are a lot of choices out there right now. Foremost for me is the Toyota Hilux pick-up, its a monster!!! But it rides like a car, yes, I know, I have a colleague that has one and have rode with him several times. The times when we complain that pick-ups ride like big tanks are over. The Hilux is a car on 4 big wheels, its suspension is very well tuned, the engine, a 2.5 diesel engine provides ample power during climbs but accelerates like a car during stretches on the highway. But at around 950 thousand clams for the E model, its pretty pricey.

Another option for me is to just go with a sedan, and right about now, the hottest one on the market would be the new Honda Civic. I have not rode one yet, but by car's looks alone, the car just exudes class and style. And knowing Honda, the engine probably won't disappoint. By foregoing a 1600cc variant, Honda is making sure it has the goods to not only edge the Toyota Altis but to put it to shame. I sure hope I can get to ride one before the day that I have to decide to buy one. Sure looks cool. And at 770 thousand clams for a 1800cc manual model, it sure looks like a steal!

But before I end this discourse, I just read in the papers an ad showing a new Toyota vehicle called AVANZA, and just by looking at the ad picture, I instantly fell for the mechanical beast. It is touted as the "baby" Innova, But personally, i don't agree. Here's the thing, the Innova looks good but in a "good" family way. While the Avanza, though smaller, looks like a small SUV/AUV variant, and does not shout "family van" all over and it seats 7 persons too. I went to the next Toyota dealer just to look at it, and sure enough, I LOVE IT!!! The only iffy thing for me is Toyota putting a 1500cc VTI engine to the vehicle (very well for pricing consideration). But the whole package is just right. If you go out and buy the G model, it has everything a car buyer wants (atleast almost) at a very reasonable 773 thousand clams. How I wish its February 2008 already so I can take one home.

No comments: