Sunday, July 25, 2010

My New Montero!!!

I have been driving my new Mitsubishi Montero Sport for the the past two months, and I can only say that it performs as advertised. I have been dreaming of this vehicle since it was launched last 2009. I was so happy that they in fact decided to launch a 4x2 variant for me to squeeze my company car budget and finally got one last May 2010. And to make it better, the 2010 variant was loaded with extra stuff that the 2009 model was not fitted with, stuff like the Multi Information Display, Back Door Cladding, Alarm & Keyless entry integrated into the key itself just to name some. And I got myself the Savannah White color that is very in demand.

Driving 100 kms everyday to work and back home at an average speed of 100-120 kph gives me an 11-12 km per liter conversion, not bad at all, but driving in the city at a stop and go situation definitely changes the conversion to 8-9 km per liter. The 4x2 variant is equipped with a 4 speed automatic tranny that also features the Mitsu's proprietary INVECS II sportronic system or manumatic mode. I would say since this is my first automatic vehicle, it was responsive and not lacking in torque and power, even when driving in full 7 passenger capacity, I would say the Montero Sport can cut it. Suspension is definitely one of the Montero's strong points, and having driven it confirms this point, ride was in fact car like, even the back passengers commented the same thing. One of the things maybe that I would say is a downer is the more or less not so responsive steering, the return feedback of the steering wheel after turning the vehicle is slow, it needs the assistance of the driver to bring it back to center. This is so different from some of the past vehicles I have driven, like the Isuzu Dmax pick-up. But overall not a deal breaker, just needs some getting use to.

Inside the vehicle, we get the assortment of stuff we come to expect from a vehicle of this class, car audio with usb / ipod integration, audio controls on steering wheels, enough lights inside the cabin, dual aircon. seven seater configuration, and an assortment of adjustment that can be made to make room for baggage or cargo handling. A nice touch would be the extra car accessory adapter at the back of the vehicle for us to use for electrical components like radio when having a picnic. Another thing that caught my attention is the reserve wheel cover that renders the extra wheel protected from the elements and potential thieves, this is one thing the Toyota Fortuner does not have.

 The front face, very macho SUV

 The back part of the Montero Sport

The Steering wheel with Audio controls

The Multi Information Display

Overall, the Montero Sport is a very good buy, it has the power to be a workhorse but still have the great sporty look to be used as an all arounder in the city as well.




No comments: