Sunday, November 7, 2010

SVS AS-EQ1 Audyssey MultEQ XT Bass Equalizer!

I have been through a couple of subs already. From US Audio to M&K to now a SVS NSD-10. Prior to the SVS, I was always looking for more because I could not find the "Slam" so to speak. But when the SVS came, the "Slam" also came with it. But other noticeable problems also occurred, the ringing of my ceiling and windows, it can get annoying when the room shakes for the wrong reason.

The next thing to do for others might be to buy another sub, but reading and experiencing what others were doing like treating their room, using equalization etc. Equalization is the next order of things for me, but I need a system that is both automated (dont know how to calibrate manually) and cheap. I almost got the Anti-mode, even a pre-owned one but for some reason I did not pull the trigger. maybe it was how I have experienced the SVS AS-EQ1 in a friend's home theater that made me wishing for one. But at $750 it was basically buying another sub!

But luckily I managed to get my hands on a pre-owned AS-EQ1 (that's another story). And after a week of getting it, I have now finally set it up. Measured 15 spots for the sub eq and another 6 spots using my Onkyo AVR's Audyssey MultEQ and the results are simply outstanding!

some pictures:
SVS AS-EQ1
the SVS AS-EQ1

calibrating with as-eq1
calibrating mic
the calibrating process

svs as-eq1 screen
the computer screen of calibrating software

iiinas ht svs eq1 result 10.10
the result! what's more there to say. the result speaks for itself. the room was tamed! ;D ;D ;D

Now looking at the graph. You could see how it has tamed my erstwhile wild room! But the graph is just a graph. What I can tell you is this. Before calibration my sub was calibrated by my Onkyo's Audyssey MultEQ. My sub's gain knob is set to 1 o'clock and what is apparent is when there are low freq scenes on a movie, ringing through my ceiling and windows are evident, and when this happen we know that the low freq wont hit the viewers at the right spot. Oh yeah, the SVS is definitely better than my previous subs but the result is not yet perfect. After the calibration (which took almost 2 hours!), with the level matching feature of the gear, my sub's gain knob was set to 9 o'clock, I was a little bit concerned that, how can a gain of 1/4 turn improve my bass? but after listening to it after calibration, all i can say is this equipment is not snake oil. Its real. no more ringing on bass heavy scenes, everything is just right (substitute right audio term here).

I have my friend to thank for getting this gear. For those SVS users or even non SVS users. I HIGHLY recommend this product. Night and day difference really! Imagine that I have a 2,000 sq feet room (20 sq meter) and this 10NSD is more than enough for it. Now the room is almost perfect! WOOHOO!!!

No comments: